Em's Chocolate Chip Cookies

July 30, 2008

Here it is.
The moment you've all been waiting for.
The moment you'll thank me for.
The greatest freeze ahead tip evah!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

It's true. Mommies of the world rejoice! You have the capability to freeze huge amounts of balls of frozen cookie dough and cook them up whenever you want, straight from freezer to oven, in less than 10 minutes. Do you see the genius here? Mom I need 4 dozen cookies for Boy Scouts? No problem. Mom, Janie is coming over after school and we just want a little snack. Sure thing. I've had a crappy day. All I want are 3 fresh baked cookies. They're yours.

Let's get started. Here's my recipe for freezer chocolate chip cookies.



Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 6-7 dozen)

Beat together:
1 c. butter
1 c. butter flavored shortening
1 c. white sugar
1&1/2 c. lt. brown sugar

Add:
3 eggs
1 T. vanilla

Sift into a large bowl:
4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1&1/2 tsp. salt

- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and combine with wooden spoon. Add 2 bags chocolate chips. Mix.

To freeze:
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out evenly sized balls of dough. Place them about 1/2" apart on a silpat lined baking sheet.



- Use your fingers to slightly flatten balls of dough.



- Place filled cookie sheet, uncovered, in freezer for 2-3 hours or until balls are frozen. Do not leave in for more than 3 hours.



- Remove from cookie sheet and place in a gallon size Ziplock bag. Label and store in freezer.



To cook from frozen:
- remove as many dough balls as you want to bake and place 12 on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes.
- As soon as you remove them from the oven, hold the cookie sheet 4 inches above the floor (or counter if you have heat safe countertops) and drop the sheet. This releases excess air in the cookies and makes them more moist and chewy. (that's a baker's trick I learned when working in a professional bakery when I was 19 years old)
- Let cool on rack and devour like a crazy person. Yum!



Note: Don't want to use my recipe? Have your own family favorite that everyone loves? Don't worry...I won't be offended. You can freeze your own recipe with minimal changes. The only thing you may want to amend is increasing the flour slightly. Try freezing one dozen as a test first and see if they remain as firm as you like them even after baking. If not, add 1/4 c. of flour next time and see if that does the trick.

You'll soon be the most popular Mom in the PTA. Guarantee it.
Now, this is a recipe that can make you Freeze Happy!

14 comments:

Angie July 30, 2008  

I love the tip about dropping the cookie sheet on the floor. I'll have to try thar!

Martha July 31, 2008  

Yum. I've seen tubs of cookie dough, but it's not easy to scoop it out when it's frozen. I may try this with 2 cups of butter...I love the real stuff. Thanks!

Anonymous,  August 01, 2008  

i made these cookies, and just wanted to Thank You!! they are amazingly delicious!! and its so cool that i can have some frozen for anytime i need just one or two!!

keep the recipes coming...my family loves them!!

Julie August 13, 2008  

Thanks for the tip with adding 1/4 cup of flour. I just tried freezing my first batch of cookie dough but haven't baked any yet.

I wonder about dropping the cookie sheet to get the air out - I don't use cookie sheets but baking stones (will never go back). I wonder if the rack the stone rests on would burn the floor or if it would even work.

Unused Account August 13, 2008  

I wonder about dropping the cookie sheet to get the air out - I don't use cookie sheets but baking stones (will never go back). I wonder if the rack the stone rests on would burn the floor or if it would even work.

I don't think you should try droppind the rack at all. It just makes the cookies a bit more moist, but is not necessary. You don't want to risk burning the floor or breaking your stone.

Fatima August 28, 2008  

This tips look so great. But can you help me out. I am from Norway and we dont measure the same way. What is c ? Is it a cup. And what can i use insted of shorthning ?

the real ~Roxann~ August 28, 2008  

Yes, I knew you were a genius and perhaps if I hadn't traveled the entire month of August so far, I could have tried this!

(but having them THIS handy could be really bad for a cookie addict like me! -- of course I have ZERO will power. Z.E.R.O. )

Tammy September 22, 2008  

can I replace the shortening with butter or will they not freeze well.
Thanks

Kate January 17, 2010  

DELECTABLE!!! I am so psyched to have a new CCC recipe!
Now, will it change the flavor significantly if I use reg. shortening instead of butter-flavored? Not sure I like the buttery taste as well...
And I loved the dropping the tray rule, I could see the cookies "deflate" when I did it. Mmmmmmm...............

Jenn February 22, 2010  

But here's the real question...how do you bake a batch right away, because if I make these I will want a batch then and freeze the rest. Is the temp the same? Thanks!

Unused Account February 22, 2010  

But here's the real question...how do you bake a batch right away, because if I make these I will want a batch then and freeze the rest. Is the temp the same? Thanks!

You do bake at the same temp, but bake them for 4 minutes less.

Jenn February 27, 2010  

Thanks! These cookies are now my new go-to cookie recipe. My husband is your biggest fan now. :)

Anonymous,  June 12, 2010  

How long will the frozen cookie dough keep in the freezer?
Thanks

Jenny November 08, 2010  

I'm totally excited about using this recipe for this holiday season. It will be delish and perfect for me not doing too much at once. Hooray!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

A new recipe will be posted each Monday and, of course, you can always search the archives by category.

The Goal of this blog is not just to give you my recipes, but to teach you which ingredients freeze well, which don't, methods and tips to help you freeze your own recipes...because who knows better what your family likes than you?

Do you only cook organic? Great! Are you a vegetarian? No problem! Make what works for you and save time, money and (let's be honest...stress) while doing it.

The Freeze Happy philosophy has made my life better and I'm pretty sure it can improve yours too.

Legal Stuff

Copyright © 2008-2010 Emilie Ahern. The content on these pages, including text and images are the sole property of the author unless otherwise noted and may not be used or reproduced in any manner without consent. All Rights Reserved.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP